Through our research publications we’re pioneering new techniques and technologies for hip and knee implants in patients all over the world. Our work is enabling a better understanding of the surgical, implant design and patient factors that determine low and high performance.
- Impact Case Study for UCL REF return (equivalent to 16 Nature papers) – 2014 UCL Award for Enterprise
- Most improved NHS trust for NIHR portfolio recruitment – 2013
- Radiological Society of North America (60,000 delegates) award for best paper – 2012
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (40,000 delegates) award for outcome of revision surgery – 2012
- Radiological Society of North America (60,000 delegates) award for best paper – 2010
Publications from 90 peer-reviewed full journal articles, including Research Gate's three most downloaded papers...
- S P Krishnan, A Dawood, R Richards, J Henckel, A J Hart: A review of rapid prototyped surgical guides for patient-specific total knee replacement. The Bone & Joint Journal 11/2012; 94(11):1457-61. PMID: 23908413. (DOWNLOADED 1484 times by Sept 2015)
- T M Parsons, K Satchithananda, R Berber, I A Siddiqui, E Robinson, A J Hart: Magnetic resonance imaging investigations in patients with problems due to metal-on-metal implants. Der Orthopäde 08/2013; 42(8):629-36. PMID: 23912305 (DOWNLOADED 309 times by Sept 2015)
- Barry Sampson, Alister Hart: Clinical usefulness of blood metal measurements to assess the failure of metal-on-metal hip implants. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 12/2011; 49(Pt 2):118-31. PMID: 22155921 (DOWNLOADED 239 times by Sept 2015)
Three most cited papers on Scopus...
- A J Hart, S Sabah, J Henckel, A Lewis, J Cobb, B Sampson, A Mitchell, J A Skinner: The painful metal-on-metal hip resurfacing. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British Volume 07/2009; 91(6):738-44. (Cited 131 times) PMID: 19483225
- A J Hart, T Hester, K Sinclair, J J Powell, A E Goodship, L Pele, N L Fersht, J Skinner: The association between metal ions from hip resurfacing and reduced T-cell counts. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British Volume 04/2006; 88(4):449-54. (Cited 120 times)
- Hart AJ, Sabah SA, Bandi AS, Maggiore P, Tarassoli P, Sampson B, Skinner JA: Sensitivity and specificity of blood cobalt and chromium metal ions for predicting failure of metal-on-metal hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011 Oct;93(10):1308-13. PMID: 21969427.
Three papers in journals with the highest impact factor...
- L S Jen, A J Hart, A Jen, J B Relvas, S M Gentleman, L J Garey, A J Patel: Alzheimer’s peptide kills cells of retina in vivo. Nature 03/1998; 392(6672):140-1.
- Angela E Goode, James M Perkins, Ann Sandison, Chithra Karunakaran, Huikai Cheng, David Wall, John A Skinner, Alister J Hart, Alexandra E Porter, David W McComb, Mary P Ryan: Chemical speciation of nanoparticles surrounding metal-on-metal hips. Chemical Communications 07/2012; 48(67):8335-7. PMID: 22801350.
- Nyga A, Hart A, Tetley TD: Importance of the HIF pathway in cobalt nanoparticle-induced cytotoxicity and inflammation in human macrophages. 2015 Oct;9(7):905-17. PMID: 25676618.
University research papers...
- Institutional Research Information System (IRIS) is the research portal for UC
Registered clinical trials...
- BioPoly RS Knee Registry Study for Cartilage Defect Replacement
- Assessment of cardiac function after hip implants
- Assessment of orthopaedic hip and knee implants